It's that time of year again. The air is turning crisper (well, not yesterday). The leaves are changing from a beautiful green to a beautiful array of reds, oranges and yellows. The birds are flying south.
I’ve been thinking a lot the past few days of what I’d like to accomplish this winter. I liked how I had it broken down last year, even if I wasn’t as successful crossing stuff off the list as I would have liked. It’s a new year, a new list, a new chance for success!
- Lose weight. I was at 155 at this time last year. Thanks to the unusual heat we experienced this summer, I drank far too much beer (I like beer in hot weather!). I’m at 160 now and “rocking a beer gut.” HA! My ultimate goal is to get down to 135, which will bring me to a healthy BMI for my height. Time to try again.
- Do something for ME. I spend every minute of my day (and much of the night sometimes) taking care of everyone and everything around me. Girls night out. Get a pedicure. Go to a movie. Anything. (Hire a maid did briefly flit through my brain but I could never justify that with myself.)
- Finish the blog revamp I started last spring.
- Bi-Weekly family outings… again. This is easier now that Little Man can participate. We have actually been doing really well lately, too. Some weeks we have multiple outings (pumpkin and apple picking all in one weekend) and others we have one great big outing (Common Ground Fair last week!) and others still, we stay home and do nothing (not very often).
- Weekly craft projects. I set my mental standards way too high for myself last year. The projects don’t need to be nearly as “elaborate” as I was attempting last year. For instance, last week we had a finger painting experience. Let’s just say I’ll probably be finding finger paints in random places in my kitchen for months. It was simple. It was messy. It was awesome.
- Play dates. I am doing my children a disservice by not being out interacting with other kids their age more often. Screw the house work. It can wait. Get those kids out there!
- I’m trying to have a mostly handmade Christmas this year. I actually have a pretty manageable list. The gifts feel more heartfelt to me.
- Go through and try to insanely huge stack of recipes that have been pulled for sampling. The baking stack is out of control. (This is not going to help with goal #1. At all.)
4) Turning house into home
- Our bedroom still has not been finished, though it was on my list last year. Throw pillows. Bed skirt. Accessorize.
- Little Man's bedroom still has not finished (also on last year’s list!). Paint the bookshelf my dad built. Make and hang pocket quilt. Decide on accent color and attach said color to base of curtains I made him. Continue my search for fabulous old dresser to redo for him.
- Complete the stairwell (also from last year). T only just put up the drywall late this summer. Accessorize. (Monkey and I painted not long after the drywall went up. It was…. interesting.)
- Finish my kitchen remodel. Paint walls. Add end caps to base cabinets. Coat rack project. If I can find a cheap enough option, flooring.
- Finish my living room remodel. Lamp shade. Lamp cabinet/table. More throw pillows. Rearrange furniture (I’ve only just gotten this into my head in the past few weeks – it will require talking T into as his muscles will be necessary to move the entertainment center).
- Finish cleaning out the basement. Namely, get rid of anything we don’t need (like the 13 or so diaper boxes full of kids clothes).
- If I have time when the rest of this is done, I’d like to paint the hallway.
I will now print this out so I can literally scratch things off as I finish them.
Do you have any goals you’d like to share?
Have a great day!