Tuesday, December 23, 2008

What are you reading?

Queenie, over at The Queen's Blog, wants to know what we're reading.

I decided to make a post about it instead of leaving a comment because otherwise I'd be tempted to post about how horrible my morning has been so far (and it's only 9AM). I'm trying to move on and get festive, so let's talk about a book instead of the oil truck that cut me off and nearly made me go off the road on my drive to work this morning. Or instead of being locked out of the office because the frigid temperatures caused the lock in the door to be frozen. Yup. Let's discuss a book instead.


T borrowed this book from our good friend J a few months ago. When I read, I get sucked in and need to read from cover to cover as quickly as possible. T, on the other hand, takes his time. He can read a chapter, put the book down for 2 months, and has no problems picking it back up and continuing this pattern until he finishes. I've been eying it on his nightstand since he put it there. While he gave Monkey her bath last night, I decided to start it.

My Dad is a logger. He gets to sit in a machine during the day now, but when we were kids, he was out there cutting by hand. On days like today, with the extremely cold temperatures (the weather man said 20-30 below up north with the wind chill), I'm very thankful he DOES get to stay in his machine now (I'm also hoping he stays in it all day to stay out of that cold). And I remember how hard he used to work to keep a roof over our heads and food in our bellies back then (not that he doesn't work hard now - it's just not nearly as physically taxing).

I'm drawn to stories about the old days. The simpler times are obviously a huge draw for me. But I especially enjoy when they include logging stories. I have an extreme appreciation for hard work of these men. I love reading of the old logging camps and just getting a glimpse into how things used to be.

I have only gotten through all of the prefacing and prologues (there's a lot of reading right there), but I think I'm going to like the read.

We take turns doing bath time, alternating between us each day, so it may take me some time to finish, which is very out of the norm for me. I've been hanging out with T far too long.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails