Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Recipes of the week

After submitting my large recipe dump, I found two more I missed.

Both are from Martha Stewart Living (image from MSL).
Poached Chicken with Bok Choy in Ginger Broth tastes very similar to the Samurai Soup I tried last winter. The chicken could use a little seasoning (though it could be because I skipped the chile's because of Monkey's distate for much spice), but it was a healthier alternative to the Samurai Soup. Next time, I will use some seasoning on the chicken. I'll also put it back into the pot after cutting it up.

And true to form with most MSL recipes, I can't find the recipe online for Mustard-Rosemary Chicken with Carrots and Potatoes. It was absolutely delicious, so I'm sharing. It calls for chicken thighs and drumsticks but I used breasts. And as I'm typing this out, I realize I forgot the lemon.

12 thin carrots, greens trimmed but left intact
1 tbs plus 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp coarse salt
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary, plus 3 sprigs
4 skinless chicken thighs
4 skinless chicken drumsticks
8 baby Yukon Gold or Red Bliss potatoes, halved
1 lemon, halved
Freshly ground pepper

1) Preheat oven to 425. Toss together carrots, 1 tsp oil and 1/8 tsp salt in a bowl. Spread out evenly on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until carrots begin to soften and caramelize, 10 to 15 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, combine mustard, garlic and chopped rosemary and 2 tsp oil in another bowl. Rub mixture over chicken pieces to coat. Toss together remaining tsp oil and the potatoes in another bowl. Sprinkle with remaining 1/8 tsp salt.
3) Remove baking sheet from oven and add chicken, potatoes and rosemary sprigs to carrots. Bake until chicken is slightly golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165, about 45 minutes. Squeeze lemon on top and season with pepper.
Now feel free to enjoy your kitchens!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails