Monday, September 28, 2009

Cold Weather Goals - 2009

It's that time of year again. The air is turning crisper. The leaves are changing from a beautiful green to a beautiful array of reds, oranges and yellows. Furnaces are being turned back on and windows are being closed up tight. You know. Fall.

While we've been doing some random winter preparations around the house over the past weekend, I did a lot of thinking about what I want to accomplish this coming winter. This year, I've broken it down into five categories.

1) Personal
  • Lose 10 pounds. At 10 weeks post-partum, I've lost the entire 28 lbs I gained during pregnancy and found myself 155 (yes, I just told you how much I weigh. It will keep me honest. ha). Technically speaking, I lost all of the weight in about 3 weeks. As of yesterday, I've already lost 2 of the 10 lbs I want to lose. My ultimate goal is to get down to 135, which will bring me to a healthy BMI for my height. But I've found breaking it down into 5 or 10 pound chunks makes it much easier to attain - and maintain (I've already lost 30 pounds from my heaviest, non-pregnant weight, so even if I stay right here, I'm already much better off than I was.).
  • Start using my etsy site. I did all of the paperwork last fall and even have supplies for a couple handfuls of projects. Now I need to actually list items. No more talking about it. No more dilly dallying. Just freaking do it already!
  • Get myself on a schedule. I've been getting overwhelmed with housework and bill paying. I can handle taking care of these tasks, I just don't have an efficient system in place. Need a system!
  • My blog. I am aiming for 3-4 posts a week.

2) Family

  • Institute a bi-weekly family outing. It can be as simple as spending 2 hours in the back yard playing with the chickens (NO WORKING) or going out for a hike. We had been doing this before Little Man was born, but we haven't done it in some time (other than all of the little day trips we had right before T went back to work). Our family is our top priority. We need to act the part now.
  • Weekly craft projects. I want to set aside 1 afternoon a week for random craft projects with Monkey (and Little Man when he's old enough to participate). We will start this week by making our own clay - and then making a nice big mess with it!

3) Kitchen

  • I will make cheese this winter.
  • I will make bagels from scratch this winter.
  • I will learn to make soap with the 20 pounds of pig fat we received with our pork.
  • I will continue my kitchen experimentation. I considered a new recipe a day for a year, but I think that's a little much. We do enjoy take out every now and again. Or just a plain ol' pizza. Then I'd feel like a failure. So I'll just continue on with the new recipes as I have been doing since the beginning of the year.

4) Projects

  • Paint frame of full length mirror
  • Paint frame of hanging mirror
  • Stain wine crates
  • Make hanging quilt for Little Man (like the one I made Monkey)
  • Knitting

5) Turning house into home

  • Our bedroom has not been finished. The walls are still empty, we still have no curtains, we need a bed skirt, you get the point. Finish.
  • Our bathroom has not been finished. The walls are still empty, we still have no curtains, random trim has not been put back, you get the point. Finish.
  • Hang Monkey's curtains. Hello. It's been since January. Just do it.
  • Little Man's bedroom isn't finished. Deck it out for a little boy. Need a bookshelf (hopefully I can talk my Dad into building one like he did for Monkey).
  • Complete the stairwell. T will be putting up drywall. I want to finish this.

I like having something to work towards. And I love having a list to scribble on. It feels so fantastic to cross something off!

Have a great day!

1 comment:

Carrie Jandreau said...

Uhmm, this is weird, but we, in this Jandreau house, have similar goals and "stuff" to finish. Its great to hear someone with similar things to do! Everyone keeps telling us you're never bored when you own your own home, theres always something to do, which is why we haven't vacationed away from the valley, in ?? I can't recall now! Best of luck to you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails