Thursday, September 10, 2009

Some more new recipes

I really am trying to get back into the swing of things. The kids are making it difficult by refusing to nap at the same time. Mommy just needs a little break, guys! haha

The BBQ Barley-Chicken Burgers from a couple weeks ago were actually quite tasty. They were also a huge pain in the rear to cook. I found I'd need to use much less barley. The burgers didn't hold together very well on the grill with the patties just kind of melding into the grill grates, so I ended up losing a lot of meat when flipping. I will be trying again - with a little less barley.

I never got around to the Chicken Pot Pizza. I just wasn't in the mood so I put it back into the "to try" pile and will get to it when the weather is cold.


I have tried a few other new recipes, all from my What's Cooking Barbecue cookbook.

For our fourth wedding anniversary last week, I made something special for T. He loves bacon wrapped scallops, so Bacon & Scallop Skewers (page 40) seemed like a sure win. After a dip in a lemon, oil and dill marinade, I skewered the wrapped scallops with bell peppers of various colors and grilled until cooked through. Served with wild rice, it was delicious.

Over the weekend, I tried Sweet Maple Chicken (page 64). This marinade consisted of orange rind and juice, maple syrup, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. You also baste your meat with the leftover marinade periodically during cooking. It was delicious, as well. I was disappointed in the quality when reheated as leftovers, though. You couldn't taste the seasonings at all. So be sure to eat it all up the first time around.

And a couple weeks ago, I gave a whirl to the Pork Ribs with Plum Sauce (page 150 - this link is a recipe very similar to the one in the book). Yet another delicious meal. These were also excellent leftover.

I've been having a lot of fun in the kitchen and have quite a few more recipes to share. Alas, children need tending, so you'll just have to wait.

Enjoy your kitchens!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails