Sunday, January 9, 2011

Avocado Ice Cream

I’m participating in an online Iron Chef competition with friends.  Our mystery ingredient this week was avocado.  Having just received an ice cream maker attachment for my beloved Kitchenaid, I decided it was destiny that I’d seen an Alton Brown recipe for Avocado Ice Cream a couple of weeks ago.

What you need:

  • 12 ounces avocado meat, approximately 3 small to medium
  • 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 cups whole milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • Start by peeling and pitting your avocados.  Mix with lemon juice, milk and sugar.  Alton calls for a blender, but I don’t own one (nor does my mom, who’s kitchen I’ve taken over).

    Her trusty immersion blender did just fine for us.

    IMG_4712

    As with everything, Monkey was all too eager to help. 

    IMG_4711

    Whisk in the heavy cream, cover and chill 4-6 hours (until it reaches a temperature of 40F or lower).

    Process in your ice cream maker, according to manufacturer’s instructions. 

    IMG_4713

    It sets up fairly quickly (it took mine about 10 minutes). 

    IMG_4715

    You can serve immediately if you prefer soft serve.  We put ours in the freezer over night for a Sunday afternoon snack.

    IMG_4722

    Mmmmm.  It didn’t taste as I expected.  While it’s not my favorite (chocolate!), I enjoyed the creamy nutty flavor.

    IMG_4723

    Enjoy!

    No comments:

    Related Posts with Thumbnails