Thursday, September 18, 2008

A beautiful sight indeed.

We have reached the end of the growing season, it seems. T informed me this morning we're expecting a frost tonight. Luckily, we only have tomatoes and parsley left in the main garden. We've got a few small green peppers in the bed in front of our shed.

I harvested the rest of our basil yesterday. That was the most aromatic beautiful basket of green ever seen. We cleaned it and put it through the salad spinner a few times (Monkey loved helping spin - I think we've got our official salad spinner next year!). I let it sit in the basket for a couple hours to make sure all of the water was gone. I spun it a bit more and then wrapped it all in paper towels. I put the rolled towels into a resealable storage bag, squeezed out as much air as I could and tossed the whole thing into the refrigerator. I did this with my parsley last year and it lasted approximately 2 months. Hopefully, it will be as effective for the basil!

T is planning on using a tarp to cover the tomatoes and remaining parsley to protect them from the frost tonight. I'll be running around with old sheets to protect my flowers and pumpkins.

Like I said yesterday... Winter is coming.

4 comments:

The Rabid Outdoorsman said...

Winter is coming!?!?! What about Fall! Certainly I didn't miss Fall!?!?!

Jodi said...

Fall isn't long enough. It's quite depressing because it is my favorite season.

STAY AT HOME MOMMY FROM MAINE said...

You can tell we live in Maine... a bunch of us running around covering plants and thinking about winter in September!!!!

Your basil looks AWESOME!!! I just hung mine up to dry, didn't realize it would keep so long in the fridge.

Jodi said...

We spent an hour outside covering plants and pumpkins. lol

I don't know for sure that the basil will keep that long in the fridge. This is the first year we have any. I don't think it will last that long, anyways. I'll probably be using it all for the last hoorah of tomato sauce in the next 2 weeks (and by last hoorah, I mean the 15 batches I'll have to make in a 3 day period to get all of my tomatoes taken care of! :-O

We've been told it looses a lot of its flavor when you dry it which is why I didn't bother trying that this year (I don't have enough for that experiment to be honest). Let me know how it turns out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails