Sunday, September 28, 2008

Gentle reminders

I complain a ton about living in the "city." I know Bangor isn't exactly high speed city life compared to other parts of the country, but it is for me.

I grew up in the sticks. I'm not joking. Our closest neighbors were the bears. So "city" life was a pretty big adjustment for me. T grew up in town so he didn't mind hearing traffic nearly as much as I did.

When we bought our house back in 2004, my one requirement was that we were out of town. Luckily, T agreed.

We found an affordable ranch just 20 minutes out of town - far enough to be out, but close enough to not have a heinous commute for work.

This morning, God gave me a gentle reminder about how peaceful it really is where we are. Yes, I want to move back home. But the only thing I'm missing here is my family. I do still have all of the same natural enjoyments I get at my parents - actually, more so.

Monkey and I awoke to a doe and her fawn (pictured above) having their breakfast under the big oak tree across the street from us. I wasn't sure Monkey would be able to see them (heck,
I'm surprised I saw them). Sure enough, she spotted them and started pointing and grunting her excited to see animal grunts. T wasn't nearly as thrilled because I woke him up to show him. Oops. haha

A few weeks ago, while I was getting ready for work, I noticed about 30 turkeys enjoying our back lawn (pictured to the right). There were just as many itty bitty babies as their were adults. It was the first time I'd seen any babies so I found it pretty cool.

We even had a moose run through our yard last spring. That caught us really off guard. Neither of us had ever seen a moose around here in the 4+ years we'd been here.

I do get to laugh at T now, too. Every time we stay overnight for a visit at his parents, he always complains about not being able to sleep because of the traffic.

So this is my reminder to myself. City living isn't all that bad.

1 comment:

Country Girl said...

Bangor area is nice. I worked in the ER part-time @EMMC for a couple years a few years back. I also had a friend that lived in Kenduskeag for 4 years, I loved going up to visit. Just far enough out of town but close enough to hit all the cool shops in town.

Related Posts with Thumbnails