My first Sew Fun Sunday was a bust for two reasons. First, we were on the road all morning to go pick up our new chickens .
I was beyond overwhelmed. I couldn't figure out the pattern. Nothing made sense.
After about 15 minutes of looking at it over and over and over and over again, I finally realized what my problem was. I bought the WRONG SIZE. Monkey is not a size 6, 7 or an 8. Heck, she's barely a size 2!
Lesson learned? Pattern packets don't come universal for all of the sizes listed on the back chart (Yes, I felt like an idiot). Oh no. Make sure you have sizes you need!
So a trip to JoAnn's was in order. Unfortunately, they didn't have the smaller version of this pattern. I found another I thought was cute and brought it home, but haven't touched it yet.
I do have a sewing project to share! My GFT is getting married in September. She asked me to help her learn how to sew. She hasn't used a sewing machine since Home Economics (High School or Grammar School, T? HA!) and had yet to use hers. So she brought it over, I looked over the manual (it's not the same as mine) and gave her a quick lesson. Then, I sat back and oversaw the labor while minding Monkey and keeping her grubby paws off of the nice fabric.
GFT now has two adorable ring bearer pillows.
We do still need to "gift wrap" them with a colored bow, but we don't have the fabric for it yet. We'll be using the fabric from bridesmaid dresses that need to be hemmed for those of us that are SHORT SHORT SHORT. I'll be using the hemming from my dress to make the sash on Monkey's. It saved us some money for not having to buy extra fabric - and kept something out of a landfill since they'd just toss the cut fabric for the hems anyways.
So, I didn't really do much sewing (I did help stuff and started to hand stitch one closed!), but I did use a sewing machine, albeit briefly.
I also now have a few projects lined up. I'm looking forward to this!