Monday, September 14, 2009

Recipe of the week

I have multiple recipes. They're technically from last week because I haven't done any cooking yet this week. It's 5:45 AM on Monday morning - nope... all I've done is put on a pot of coffee in the kitchen this week. (Smart alec, I know.)

I'm going to attempt to not get frustrated because I have 2 from Martha Stewart Living again. After searching and searching last week on her website for a recipe, I'm dreading going to take a look this morning.

First up, I made Corn Soup with Fresh Tomatoes (Surprise. I can't find it online. September 2009, page 162). While very easy and very quick to make, it wasn't as "WOW" as I would have hoped for. Monkey didn't like it at all, which surprised me because she loves corn.

Next, we tried Mushroom and Bacon Tart (Guess what? I can't find this online, either. September 2009 issue, page 162). This ended up being a 2-fer because the crust was a new recipe on it's own. I don't own a food processor, so I made Pate Brisee (of course - this recipe showed up 3 times in my search!) with a pastry blender - a little extra elbow grease, but it was worth it. I believe I may start using this crust for pies. The tart was easy to assemble, but you need to plan ahead for it. The crust dough needs to chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour, it took about 25 minutes to slice and cook the bacon and veggies, and then it needs to bake for nearly an hour. I wasn't planning on making it last night so just started throwing it together - and then I read ahead enough to see that dinner would not be ready for our 6 PM dinner time. Oops. It was good so it's a keeper, though!


My last new recipe is from Cooking Light. Hearty Minestrone with Barley, Sage and Beans was both easy and delicious. It is most definitely another keeper.
That's all for today.
Enjoy your kitchens!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails