Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Recipes of the week

I've decided to start posting them after I've already tried them, instead of before. What's the point in telling you about them twice?

I got quite a few from Everyday's past issue. I actually doubled my stack of recipes to try when I was finished reading it.

We had a handful of new ones last week.

First up was Chicken-and-Orzo Soup with Arugula and Basil from Everyday. I couldn't find arugula, so I substituted escarole. And I used chopped portabello caps. This was supremely quick and easy to toss together. It was so extremely very deliciously yummy. Did I get across how much I liked it? I absolutely loved it. Monkey did as well, judging by the fact she ate 2 bowls. T wasn't home that night but warmed some up to try and enjoyed it as well. This gets a huge thumbs up from us.

Next up was Shrimp Fried Rice, also from Everyday. T doesn't eat eggs (I know - and we have chickens - which were his idea - don't ask), so I scooped a big bowl for him before the egg stage. It was easy to make, but T and Monkey were very "Meh" about it. Though I liked it, I won't be making it again.

I have another from Everyday and one from Country Living, but they aren't online yet, so I'll share them later.

I also did some experimenting a few weeks ago and wanted to share. I had a pound of ground chicken and an orange I needed to use. I took the juice and some grated rind from the orange and some fresh rosemary and made burger patties. I grilled them up and topped them with swiss cheese and Head Country BBQ sauce (worth the cost of shipping - it's delicious). For someone who is scared to throw stuff together and fly by the seat of her pants at dinner, I thought they turned out very tasty.

A variation on it I tried at my parents house last weekend - I took chicken parts (breasts and thighs), seasoned them with dried rosemary, salt and pepper and roasted/basted them in orange juice. It got good reviews.

I love kitchen success!
Enjoy your kitchens!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails