Saturday, October 24, 2009

Sweet Treats Saturday

We went picking apples a couple weeks ago. We went to Conant's in Etna. The picking was unbelievable! And we now have a lot of apples waiting to be used.

What do you do when you have a lot of apples and even more eggs? You bake! Or, rather, T gets tired of waiting for you to bake and does so himself...



Image from Straight from the Farm


He found this recipe in the newspaper that led me to the blog, Straight from the Farm. I haven't done much digging around yet, but what I have seen looks really yummy. The Old Fashioned Apple Dumplings looked easy to make from where I sat. They were mighty delicious, too!

He also made an Apple Bread. I'm not finding this one anywhere online (and I'm not sure where he got the recipe - it's a photocopy out of a cookbook but I have no idea which one), so I'm just going to share it.


Apple Bread
3 cups apples, cored, not peeled
3 cups flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups oil
4 eggs, slightly beaten
4 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2/3 cup raisins or chopped dates
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325. Grease 2 loaf pans, bottom only.

Mix all ingredients in a very large bowl. Pour into prepared pans. Bake 60-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

I'll admit I warmed this stuff up and topped it with ice cream. It satisfied the sweet tooth greatly.

That's all I have for sweet stuff this week!

Enjoy your kitchens!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails