Monday, April 13, 2009

This week's new recipes:

Tonight, I'm experimenting with pizza. I wanted California Roll Salad, but it's my birthday and I'm making T make it for me tomorrow instead of the spaghetti he suggested. HA

Bay scallops are on sale at Hannaford this week ($4.99/lb) and I have frozen baby shrimp from when they were on sale. I'll be using jarred Alfredo sauce (for ease - like I said - it's my birthday, I can do what I want to!) and adding scallions and mushrooms. Seafood pizza! I hope it turns out as good as I'm imagining.


Later this week, I'll be making Sweet N Sour Chicken Balls. I have no idea where this recipe originated, but it's one my Mom made a few times when I was a kid. I've never made it and it's been years since I've had it, but it's in my "new" recipe pile and I've got chicken in the freezer, so I'm making it.


Sweet N Sour Chicken Balls



3 lbs chicken breast
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp MSG (I'm not using this)
1 tsp oil


Cook chicken until half cooked. Cut into small pieces.

Mix rest of ingredients until smooth to make batter; dip chicken in batter. Fry until golden brown.


I'm making Oven Fried Rice on the side. This is another recipe I'm not sure where it originated, but it's one from my Mom. This is one I've made numerous times, though I thought it might be one some of you might enjoy. You can add any veggies you want (I often use green peppers, carrots and/or corn kernels). I also go meatless or use other meat I may have leftover and don't want to lose (pork chops or steak). Also, this recipe halved from my mother's original. It's perfect for us, but for a bigger family (or for more leftovers) - double it.


Oven Fried Rice


1 1/2 cups uncooked Uncle Ben's rice
1/2 can mushrooms (I use fresh)
1/2 chopped onion
3 stalks chopped celery
3/4 cup cooked chicken (I'll be going meatless this week)
1/6 cup soy sauce
1/6 cup vegetable oil
1 package Lipton Onion Soup
3 cups water


Mix all together in oven safe container (I love my cast iron dutch oven for this) and put in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes. Reduce heat to 300 degrees. Stir and leave in oven for an additional 20 minutes.


Thursday night, I'll be taking some frozen summer squash out of the freezer for my Squash and Sausage Pasta experiment from last fall.

Friday night will probably be pizza again, though I'm thinking just a regular mushroom and green pepper pizza since it has been some time since we've had it.

I'll be enjoying my kitchen this week. Will you be enjoying yours?


*EDITED*

Find the Sweet N Sour Sauce here for the chicken.

1 comment:

Gram said...

Let me know how the chicken balls come out... I need to point out that you forgot to post the recipe for the sweet n sour sauce. Good luck with this. I might try it again sometime soon too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails