Friday, March 13, 2009

Home inspirations:

I've been doing a lot of blog reading this week. I've found quite a few new (to me) blogs dealing with home decorating (you'll notice them in my blog list).

I've gotten a lot of great ideas (especially for my kitchen). Now, if only I had the time and money to do everything I want to to my house!

T is painting the walls in our bedroom tomorrow. It's taken me two weeks just to get the trim and doors done (and I still have the closet doors left to paint!), so he's giving me a hand before I start screaming in frustration. Or maybe throwing paint buckets and brushes out the windows.

I'm going to share what our bedroom looked like originally. Basically, it looked like the room of a college student. (Not a very good picture. It's all I could find.)



Don't you love the Walmart special bed in a bag comforter? Or, how about the freebie brass headboard (which we finally replaced last fall because the darn thing was broken and jangled if you just breathed on it - it was extremely annoying).

What you can't tell by the picture is that the walls are a very pale, minty green and the trim is all a nearly yellow off white color. You see, when we first bought the house, I had this idea in my head for a color scheme and even purchased the fabric to make new bedding! You also can't see my first ever attempt at curtains (they served their purpose but I'm not sad to see them go).

I got overwhelmed by the new spread and its massive size. It's still half finished, in need of a backing. And the skirting has been sitting in the sewing bin with the spread because, well, what's the point in putting on a new bed skirt without new bedding?

Alas, we finally bought a new comforter last fall from LL Bean. The blue/green in the unfinished project don't match the green in the new comforter, so they'll never be used (by me, anyways).

Once T gets the walls painted for me, I'll need to:

1) Make new curtains

2) Make new bed skirt

3) Change the handles on his dresser (I'll take before and after photos when the time comes so you see why)

4) Paint his nightstand

5) Bring up my new nightstand (and hopefully have a new base on it, courtesy of Dad?)

6) Artwork (this includes painting out the frames on two mirrors I already have that I want to put in there).

7) I still need a new dresser! I've been scouring craigslist for something local to no avail (not even necessarily a dresser - I saw a great antique secretary on Ebay with drawers that would have been perfect and I'll be kicking myself for a LONG time for not snatching it). I'm hitting up the Goodwill and Salvation Army stores next week. My problem is it will be on a narrow wall (28 1/4" wide), so I need a more narrow than normal piece. UGH.

8) Dress the bed - it needs some throw pillows and maybe a nice big blanket folded at the foot of it.

9) Table lamps. We need table lamps. The one you see in the picture above died and we haven't had even one in our room since then.

I would also like to put a plant (or two or three) in there, but I don't have a great green thumb and tend to kill house plants, so we'll see about those.

My lists never seem to shrink. And I wonder why I'm always discouraged over having "too much to do."

I'm very much looking forward to finishing it and finally having a peaceful and restful place for T and I to relax at the end of the day. I think this will be even more important to have our own oasis once New Bean arrives. Don't you?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails