Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Random Sweet Treats

I mentioned Sunday my forage into my recipe box to pull out any recipes I'd written down yet had not tried. I've got a stack of them on my counter, the majority of them desserts, cookies and random sweet treats. I didn't write down my source on all of them (BAD Jodi), but some I do remember where they came from.

The Sunday grocery store vomit episode happened while Monkey & I were picking up a tube of refrigerated biscuits for Apple Pockets (Parents). It has high ratings on the website. It did not receive high ratings in my house. They were extremely simple to make (they are geared for children helping make them, though I ended up without Monkey's help by the time I made them Sunday afternoon). They were OK, but not something we would want to go out of our way for again. I tossed the recipe card.

I plan on trying another sweet treat tomorrow. This one came from my Grandmother D, but I'm not sure where she got it (so I'm sorry if I'm not giving credit where credit is due). It's an Apple Nut Cake. I can't find this recipe online and am not in the mood to sort through the thousands of apple nut cake recipes to find one close enough, so here it is:

Apple Nut Cake
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp baking soda
4 cups chopped apples (with peel)
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup oil
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Mix dry ingredients with nuts and apples.
Mix oil, eggs and vanilla into separate bowl.
Fold into dry ingredients until well mixed.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour 15 minutes in bundt or spring form pan OR 45 minutes in 9x13 cake pan.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails