Monday, September 15, 2008

Saving money

Some people are scared of sales fliers. OK, not really. Some (many) people just don't have time for them. I will admit to being one of those people. Lets face it. When I first moved out on my own, I was working 50-some-odd hours a week and keeping a household. Not to mention, I was 22 and spending far too much time partying (nothing wrong with that).

When we first found out we were having Monkey, we needed to decide what we were going to do as far as child care. We said I'd work 3 days a week (30 hours). I would work on T's day off, on Saturday and we'd send Monkey to daycare 1 day a week. Once she arrived, this changed. Neither of us wanted to put her into someone else's care, even if it was only 1 day a week, no matter how much we like the person we had snagged a spot with. Obviously, that has an effect on our money situation.

Sales fliers became my best friend. And coupons.. oh the coupons I started cutting.

Cutting coupons can be overwhelming. It's very important to remember to cut only the coupons for products you use (or want to start using). It's also important to find a storage system that works for you. Personally, I have 4 envelopes of coupons: baby products, groceries, grooming/home care and store specific.

Every Sunday, I sit down with my coupons and fliers and make a game plan. I plan my meals and see if there are things we need that are on sale, I have a coupon for, or better yet - both!

I need to share the great deals I got today. Walgreens is fairly new to Bangor and today was my first visit. Purex laundry detergent is buy 1 get 1 free. Um, hello? Great deal. What made it EVEN BETTER is that I had a coupon for $1.00 off with the purchase of 2. I also found a coupon in the flier for 2 boxes of Puffs Plus for $3. I spent a grand total of $10.54 - with a savings of $9.97!

These are products I use in my home every day already, so why not get it for so much cheaper? You can bet I'll be back to Walgreens in the future.

Also, for you parents out there, they are selling Walgreens brand non-aspirin (like Tylenol) and ibuprofen (like Motrin) for buy 1 at $4.99 and get 1 free. Know that it is children's and not infant's (I almost bought a couple of each to stock up when I realized this).

And while I'm on money saving tips for parents - here's a great one for you parents of girls. You know all of those adorable little dresses we dress our daughters in? You can reuse them as shirts later! Example: the shirt you see below is a size 0-3 month dress that I dressed Monkey in for her aunt & uncle's wedding last October. (I'm only thinking of this because that's what she's wearing today.... ha ha)

Can't tell, can you?

I will end this post on the cuteness that is my toddler. What else could I possibly say?

5 comments:

Country Girl said...

She is a cutie. I am looking for ways to cut costs in our household. I would like to be able to bank some $ and pay things off, you never know what the future holds.

Anonymous said...

I think thats a great idea. You seem like a smart girl who loves her family I wish you well in all you do.....

Jodi said...

I do love my family very much.

The whole great big crazy bunch. :-)

maine momma of 3 (formally: stayathomemommy from maine) said...

She is adorable! I love the dress idea... those babydoll shirts are really in fashion right now!

I am a coupon junkie! Do you get the walgreens rebate book?? Love it! You have to remember to get copies of your reciepts for some deals but it's really worth it.

I also cut coupons then match them to the sales... shaw's is great for this. And now they have coupons on their website!!

The funniest story....
My best friend is sooo good at couponing that she actually makes money on her purchases.

Last year she bought diabetes testing kits and made $5 / kit... she's not even diabetic, she donated them to a homeless shelter!

It takes time but your right, when raising a family you have to do what you can!

Happy couponing!!!

Jodi said...

Rebate coupon book you say?

I don't have it. I will inquire next time I go in.

I had wanted to ask if they had any kind of super saver programs but there was a new girl at the register, a wicked long line and my girl had just gotten a couple shots. I didn't want to hang around any longer than absolutely necessary!

Related Posts with Thumbnails