Thursday, April 2, 2009

My stairway remodel:

I tell you, I've been a busy busy bee this week (as were my helpers!!).

This is the entryway to my house. We come in through the kitchen and you are immediately faced with the doorway to our basement. So very inviting, right? (Please read that dripping with sarcasm) . I'd also like to just point out the awesome built in gate my Dad made for us. Leaving the door to the basement closed made the basement (and the house) smell musty. But, we don't trust portable baby gates enough to just use one of those. Enter Carpenter Dad. (He's done a lot of building of things for me since I moved into this house).




There's not much I can do right now about the wall at the foot of the stairs. BUT, you don't see that unless you're actually standing at the top of the stairs looking down. So I'll live with it for the time being.


The curtain is hiding 2 shelves. I've been using them for extra kitchen storage. Really, it's just a big mess behind the curtain.


My brother did all of the wall prep (I had the brilliant idea of using a Swiffer with a wet pad to clean the walls - it worked well!) and painted the shelves for me. And T did the painting of the walls.




And this is what you will now see walking into my home:


The baskets were a TJMaxx/Homegoods find ($9.99 a piece), as was the wine themed clock ($15). The painting I got on clearance at Linens N Things when they were going out of business for $25. And the wine crate is 1 of 6 unfinished crates I bought on Ebay (I don't remember the cost).

I do still have some work to do. I want tags for the baskets, a plant (probably fake because it's not really a plant growing environment) for the top shelf and I need something for shoe storage. We also still need to paint the stairs themselves.

It already feels so much cozier!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails