Saturday, January 10, 2009

Taking a big step

Two years ago, while pregnant for Monkey, I started an Etsy store.

It has been sitting empty and unused this entire time.

Why? I'll admit it. Because I'm a chicken shit and have been scared to do anything with it.

First, there's the whole sales tax issue because the State of Maine requires you pay sales tax for purchases (meaning I have to charge sales tax on in state sales).

Then, there's the whole "what if my stuff sucks and nobody likes it" mental hurdle.

I have been toying with this for much longer than the two years I've had the store set up.

After a talk with my mom (she works for an accountant and is much smarter than I with taxes and bookkeeping and with life in general), I filled out the application to get a sales tax number.

It is now sitting here, addressed and stamped, ready to go. Staring at me. Making me want to vomit with nerves.

But, I have finally taken the first big step.

Now, someone come kick me into taking the next one.

What's the worst that can happen? Right?

4 comments:

Country Girl said...

You'll never know until you try. Congrats to you for overcoming your fears! ~Kim

Queenie said...

The worst that can happen is you fail. And if you don't send that application in, if you don't try, you have already failed. Go for it girl - you don't get that many chances for adventure in life. Challenge yourself and you will be surprised at just how high you can reach! Eleanor Roosevelt said: Do one thing every day that scares you to death.

Anonymous said...

Jump! You'll be glad you did.

Kellie said...

I've had my etsy store since Aug 07 and have had 1 sale...though I am still ahead. Umm what's this with a tax #... I haven't bothered with it since I haven't sold enough to make that matter. I figure if I sell enough to pay sales tax then I'll worry about that bridge later. ps...it's great to see you on here - and thanks for checking me out - seems like we swim the same laps! ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails